Tuesday, November 17, 2015

What is Collagen?


Even as a young child I was exposed to collagen. It all began when my mother made me consume countless packets of gelatin or jell-o to try to strengthen my nails. Sadly despite her efforts my nails continued to split until I reached college and discovered Biotin. I’m happy to report that after taking Biotin I found myself trading in sad, splitting nails for diamond-hard gems.

One of the reasons the collagen failed is because the particles were too large. The body can’t absorb something if the molecule is too big. It just ends up traveling through the body and right into the toilet making most of what we may put on our skin or drink in a beverage useless.

WHAT IS COLLAGEN?

In order for you to figure out how to build collagen you first need to understand what collagen is. Collagen is the scaffolding that makes up 80 percent of our skin. As we age it begins to degrade and disappear. Our skin in turn loses its structure and begins to drop or sag and cause wrinkles. Sun, stress, and especially sugar are ways to make sure collagen is on a fast track to degrading called collagenase or glycation.

This fibrous protein comes in many types, but here are the main five:

* Collagen I: skin, tendon, vascular, ligature, organs, bone (main component of bone and the most abundant collagen in the body. Most importantly it is present in scar tissue: the end product of when tissue heals by repair.

* Collagen II: cartilage (main component of cartilage)

* Collagen III: reticulate (main component of reticular fibers), commonly found alongside type I.

* Collagen IV: forms bases of cell basement membrane



* Collagen V: cells surfaces, hair and placenta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advertise

Chat